Wednesday, February 6, 2008

My Other Mother

Will, the oldest son, has often been herd to give this tribute of his "other mother". "I have lived in Aunt Lucy's home for months at a time, year after year, and can truthfully say she has treated me as her own son. She was as good to me as she was to her own children, and as good to me as my own mother."

He often told this incident to illustrate her unselfishness in dealing with her husband’s other children. One afternoon when she was mending shirts, she found she was short of patches that matched, so some of them had to be mended with different colors. When she had finished them and held them up for inspection, she found that she had put the matching patches on her own son’s shirt. "Without hesitation", Will related, "she ripped off the patches and reversed them, putting the matching patches on my shirt and the odd ones on her own sons".

- Amy Carroll Stark as told by Will Heaton

No comments: